View the List of Professional Designations by Industry
Professional Designations (aka, certifications and licenses) acknowledge educational achievement for a specific job or task, typically awarded by a third-party such as Professional Associations and Organizations.
I recommend pursuing one or more Professional Designations to solidify your credentials within your field or occupation and stay on your industry’s cutting edge. Professional Designations are offered by a variety of professional associations, academic institutions, and federal, state, and local organizing bodies.
Some certifications and licenses may be more simple to acquire and maintain than others. Many have rigorous standards and/or require completion of state-approved education programs. For instance, earning your Certified Nurse Assistant designation requires meeting training and examination requirements set by the state you live in.
Make sure to do your due diligence on the costs and requirements to acquire and keep the Professional Designations that you’re going for.
Here’s the List of Professional Designations by Industry:
- Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) designation acknowledges an individual’s experience and specialization in estate planning.
- Accredited Tax Preparer (ATP) is a leading national credential for practitioners who have thorough knowledge of the existing tax code and the preparation of individual tax returns.
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP) designation is a professional certification mark for financial planners.
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) credential denotes proven expertise in fraud prevention, detection and deterrence.
- Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP) program is designed especially for auditors working in the public sector at all levels.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) is the only globally recognized internal audit certification.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license is the accounting profession’s highest standard of competence, a symbol of achievement and assurance of quality.
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA) credential is a global benchmark for management accountants and financial professionals.
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) designation is a globally recognized certification for IS audit control, assurance and security professionals.
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA) is the most widely held management accounting designation in the world with more than 150,000 designees.
- Enrolled Agent (EA) credential for federally-licensed tax practitioners who may represent taxpayers before the IRS when it comes to collections, audits and appeals.
- Professional Administrative Certification of Excellence (PACE) is an accreditation that tests the breadth of your professional knowledge in administration.
- Certification in Aerospace Physiology (CAsP) program demonstrates competency in the characteristics of the atmosphere, acceleration, and spatial disorientation.
- Certified Professional Animal Care Provider (CPACP) program is geared toward individuals in the daily handling of animals within professional pet care business.
- Certified Manager of Animal Resources (CMAR) program is designed to raise competency and professionalism in the field of laboratory animal resources management.
- Certified in Entity and Intangible Valuations (CEIV) credential is intended for professionals who perform fair value measurements for public company financial statement reporting purposes.
- Certified Association Executive (CAE) is the marker of a committed association professional who has demonstrated the wide range of knowledge essential to manage an association.
- Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) is a powerful demonstration of requisite knowledge, skill and ability in the specialized application of traffic operations engineering.
- Certified Blockchain Expert (CBE) program for skilled professionals who understand Blockchain and how to build Blockchain-based applications for enterprises and businesses.
- Certified Broadcast Technologist (CBT) recognizes and raises the professional status of broadcast engineers by providing standards of professional competence.
- Certified Career Counselor (CCC) credential is a recognition of two important factors in training and experience including both counseling and a specialization in career development, theory, and practice.
- Certified Employment Interview Professional (CEIP) is a program with a 20+ year track record of success helping job seekers be well-prepared and motivated to win job offers.
- Certified Exit Planner (CExP) professionals demonstrate they are qualified to provide skilled and professionally executed exit planning services.
- Certified Professional Career Coach (CPCC) credential builds a strong career coaching practice and propels your clients to meet their career objectives.
- Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW) credential is the global industry standard for professional résumé writers.
- Credentialed Career Manager (CCM) validates your expertise within your field of career specialization for professionals who work across all sectors of the careers community.
- Master Career Director (MCD) designation provides seasoned resume writers, career coaches, and career practitioners a way to benchmark their advanced level of talent and expertise.
- Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS) credentialing program is a rigorous, examination-based professional certification credential to increase the proficiency of child life professionals.
- Certified Construction Manager (CCM) is the gold standard in personnel credentials for the construction management profession.
- Certified Professional Constructor (CPC) designation is for managing the process of construction.
- Certified Welder (CW) program tests welders to procedures used in the structural steel, petroleum pipelines, sheet metal, and chemical refinery welding industries.
- Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST) certification is devoted to the prevention of construction illnesses and injuries.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) designation is offered with multiple specializations involving mental and emotional health.
- Accelerated Culinary Arts Certificate Program (ACAP) gives you a hands-on understanding of the professional kitchen and expand your career opportunities.
- Licensed Dental Hygienist (LDH) program ensures dental hygienists practice in accordance with requirements of individual state dental practice acts.
- Certified Design Thinking Professional (CDTP) recognizes innovation professionals who have demonstrated an advanced understanding of the key topics relating to various design methods.
- Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) program develops one’s core competencies across the breadth of topics necessary to being a well-rounded and successful economic developer.
- Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) program for emergency managers is designed to raise and maintain professional standards within the profession.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) is an individual who optimizes the energy performance of a facility, building or industrial plant.
- Certified Green Building Engineer (GBE) program recognizes green building, design and construction engineering professionals for green building related disciplines.
- Certified Professional Building Designer (CPBD) designation recognizes outstanding skills, knowledge and professional expertise for building designers.
- Certified Public Infrastructure Inspector (CPII) program certifies individuals who inspect the construction of public infrastructure (roadways, highways, etc) and facilities (pump stations, treatment plants, etc).
- Certified Reliability Engineer (CRE) is a professional who understands the principles of performance evaluation and prediction to improve product/systems safety, reliability and maintainability.
- Value Methodology Associate (VMA) certification is designed for individuals who are new to the VM field and have received basic VM training.
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation represents the standard of excellence in today’s meetings, conventions and exhibitions industry.
- Certified Special Events Professional (CSEP) designation recognizes event professionals demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and ability essential to perform all components of a special event.
- Certified Facility Manager (CFM) credential sets the industry standard for ensuring the knowledge and competence of practicing facility managers.
- Facilities Management Administrator (FMA) program to manage facilities in a way that best supports staff and fits into your organization’s overall objectives.
- Certified Treasury Professional (CTP) designation sets the standard in the treasury profession and is a global symbol of excellence.
- Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) is the globally-recognized credential for professionals managing, analyzing, distributing, or regulating alternative investments.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) credential is the highest distinction in the investment management profession.
- Chartered Market Technician (CMT) program demonstrates mastery of a core body of knowledge of investment risk in portfolio management.
- Professional Risk Manager (PRM) designation is a globally recognized, graduate-level risk management credential.
- Registered Fiduciary (RF) certification identifies financial professionals that have met the necessary requirements to serve in the important new role of Fiduciary Adviser.
- Retirement Plans Associate (RPA) designation is for those who work with defined contribution and defined benefit plans or are involved with the management of plan assets.
- Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) designation teaches research-based techniques to help people of all fitness levels reach their personal fitness goals.
- Personal Fitness Trainer (PFT) is proudly accredited through the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA), which is the industry standard.
Food Service / Nutrition
- Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) certification is held by clinical nutritionists, physicians and other advance-degreed healthcare professionals with a specialty in nutrition.
- ServSafe Manager program provides food safety training, exams and educational materials to foodservice managers.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation for individuals demonstrates the highest standards of ethical and professional practice in serving the philanthropic sector.
- Certified Preplanning Consultant (CPC) program has set the highest standard of professional excellence in preplanning.
- Care Coordination and Transition Management (CCTM) credential recognizes the integral role of the RN in all settings from ambulatory care to hospitals.
- Certified Addiction Specialist (CAS) is a clinical certification based upon experience providing treatment under the direction of a qualified clinical supervisor, specialized training, and a written exam.
- Certified Administrator of Volunteer Services (CAVS) credential provides both internal and external rewards to those working in healthcare settings.
- Certified Anesthesia Technologist (Cer.A.T.T.) is designed to ensure personal and professional development in the rapidly changing field of anesthesia technology.
- Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN) is a specialty certification for nurses who provide direct care to acutely/critically ill adult patients regardless of their physical location.
- Certified Chiropractic Clinical Assistant (CCCA) ensures uniform training for working in a Chiropractor’s office.
- Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) is the premier credential designed specifically for rehabilitation counselors.
- Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) credential raises the standard of diagnostic medical ultrasound practice and promotes best practices for enhanced patient safety.
- Certificate in Benefit Plan Administration program provides a survey of the core operational areas and issues involved in administering benefit plans.
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) demonstrates your mastery of the strategic and policy-making aspects of HR management as practiced in the U.S.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) credential certifies individuals in the specific network security discipline of Ethical Hacking from a vendor-neutral perspective.
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) was developed specifically for experienced information security managers and those with information security management responsibilities.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) is the most globally recognized standard of achievement in the cybersecurity industry.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) is a job role focused certification and training program for Cloud engineers, Cloud Administrators, and Network Engineers.
- Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP) builds advanced knowledge of the network design concepts and principles required to develop multi-layer enterprise architectures and network components.
- CompTIA Security+ is a global certification that validates the baseline skills you need to perform core security functions and pursue an IT security career.
- ITIL Foundation (ITIL) will introduce you to the key elements, concepts and terminology used in the ITIL service lifecycle.
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) is an entry-level certification intended for people seeking knowledge of fundamental technology concepts.
- VMware Certified Professional 7 – Cloud Management and Automation (VCP7-CMA) validates your ability to install, configure and administer a VMware vRealize environment.
- National Certified Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) is the globally recognized hallmark of a highly qualified interior designer.
- Esquire (ESQ) is a term used in the United States to designate a person who may practice law (lawyers are licensed by a state agency in each state).
- CITT-Certified Logistics Professional (CCLP) designation is the most highly valued supply chain logistics credential in the industry.
- Google Analytics Individual Qualification (IQ) is a demonstration of proficiency in Google Analytics that is available to any individual who has passed the Google Analytics assessment.
- Professional Certified Marketer (PCM) shows you have the skills needed for strategy, planning, production, promotion, and measurement in Marketing.
- Certified Forklift Technician (CFT) program is to certify and recognize individuals who demonstrate core competencies involved in repair and maintenance of forklift vehicles.
- Manufacturing Specialist (MS) certification demonstrates a certain level of industry-wide technical skills in the math and measurement; and spatial reasoning and manufacturing technology categories.
- Charter Boat Captain commands a small vessel as a master, captain, or skipper and may contain a sailing endorsement for sailing vessels and/or a commercial towing endorsement.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential the world’s only accredited certification for philanthropic fundraising professionals.
- Certified Nonprofit Professional (CNP) credential is the only national nonprofit credential preparing students (undergraduate, graduate and professionals) for leadership in the nonprofit sector.
Occupational Safety & Health
- Occupational Hygiene and Safety Technicians (OHST) are persons who perform occupational health and safety activities on a full-time or part-time basis as part of their job duties.
- Certified Pharmaceutical GMP Professional (CPGP) understands the good manufacturing practices as regulated and guided by national and international agencies for the pharmaceutical industry.
- North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLX) measures a candidate’s knowledge of the practice of pharmacy.
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) helps project teams properly use Scrum, increasing the likelihood of the project’s overall success.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) is the most important industry-recognized certification for project managers.
- Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR) designation is designed for real estate buyer agents who focus on working directly with buyer-clients at every stage of the home buying process.
- Certified Inside Sales Professional (CISP) demonstrates that you are looking to achieve the highest standard of excellence as an individual sales professional.
- Certified Professional Sales Person (CPSP) program is uniquely designed to transform you into a master influencer in sales.
- Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) is a paraprofessional who practices under close, ongoing supervision and is primarily responsible for the direct implementation of behavior-analytic services.
- Certified Protection Officer (CPO) is designed for security officers and students who wish to learn more about security/asset protection.
- Loss Prevention Qualified (LPQ) is a benchmark certification that canvases loss prevention practices, core competencies, foundational tools, business processes, and best practices.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) designation for working with clients in order to help deal with issues involving mental and emotional health. Regulated by each individual state.
- Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) program for experienced registered dietitians who apply evidence-based nutrition knowledge in exercise and sports.
- Specialist in Sports Nutrition (SSN) program prepares personal trainers to expand their practices into the specialized area of sports nutrition.
- Digital Video Engineering Professional (DVEP) certifies knowledge in the engineering aspects of digital media systems as deployed in the cable telecommunications industry.
- Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD) for professionals in design, implementation, and project management of telecoms and data communications technology/infrastructure.
Training & Development
- Associate Professional in Talent Development (APTD) is designed for talent development professionals who are in the early part of their careers.
- Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP) is broad based and measures a talent development professionals’ competency in 10 areas of expertise.
- Certification in Urban Design (CUD) recognizes an individual’s knowledge, experience, and application of design principles.
- Certified Warehouse Logistics Professional (CWLP) designation is for seasoned individuals who have broad career experience and who have pursued additional professional education.
View the full compilation of Job Search Resources >>