I was exposed to the inner-workings of job boards and corporate hiring practices during my time at CareerBuilder (2005 to 2011).
Out with the old, in with the new! Newspaper ads were largely kicked to the curb, in favor of online job postings. It was a period of massive disruption to the status quo. The manner in which companies advertised for and hired employees had fundamentally changed forever.
I wore many hats as a CareerBuilder employee. I worked in B2B sales, affiliate marketing, and operations. In my final role, I was the Operations Manager for cbResume (company’s Resume Service). At this time, I was also taking night and weekend classes at Roosevelt University‘s Chicago campus as a MBA student.
It was during this time that I started to learn about the Resume Writing industry and to understand the niche. Shortly after earning an MBA in Marketing I decided to end my seven year run at CareerBuilder.
I knew I had to scratch my entrepreneurial itch. I had a lifelong gift for writing and a strong working knowledge of the Resume Writing niche. The only problem was that I’d never written a Resume in my entire life (besides my own).
So, I started working as a freelance Resume Writer making near minimum-wage rates. I lived the life of a Resume Writer, taking on project after project. I supported myself for several years in this manner. Gradually, I learned the craft by working on the front-lines with job seekers.
Concurrently, I started building this business (JobStars). I set out with modest ambitions to build a Career Services practice for helping local job seekers.
Building a business for the first time was daunting, but also exciting and energizing. Launching a website, learning SEO, creating a menu of services, establishing an infrastructure, developing standards and guidelines, and creating processes to serve every valued client.
I started putting all the pieces in place and knew I had found my true calling.
Today, I am proud to call myself the founder, owner, and operator of JobStars. My daily commitment is to ensure the delivery of top notch Career Services for every valued JobStars client.
Doug’s Education & Designations
- Professional Resume Writer (CPRW) Certificate
- Professional Career Coach (CPCC) Certificate
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Marketing
- View My Resume (MS Word)
Doug’s Book Recommendations
- Job Search / Career Change – What Color is Your Parachute?
- Executive – Rites of Passage at $100,000 to $1 Million+
- Entry Level / Recent Grads – Getting from College to Career
- LinkedIn – Tell Your Story, Land the Job
- Networking – 100 Conversations for Career Success
Doug’s Top 3 Tips for Job Seekers
- Diversify your job search. Quit relying on “apply and pray” so much.
- Avoid being a perfectionist. Redirect that energy into something positive.
- Know what you want and narrow your focus. Don’t be a jack of all trades.
Doug’s Favorite Quotes
- “Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best.” – Theodore Isaac Rubin
- “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” – Maya Angelou
- “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.” – Michael Jordan
- “The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” –