Today, I am proud to call myself the founder, owner, and operator of JobStars USA.
I arrived here after many years of working and learning. My first exposure to job seekers came in 2005, after finishing undergraduate studies at KU, when I started working at CareerBuilder. This was a time period of massive disruption! As the new digital landscape emerged, newspaper job ads were being replaced by digital job ads – the entire recruitment / job search process was changing drastically.
While working there, I did a few different things – including sales, marketing, and operations. Managing the company’s (now defunct) service “cbResume” was my first real exposure to the Resume Writing world. It captured my interest immediately. While working, I also attended MBA classes at RU. Shortly after earning an MBA in Marketing, at age 28 – I chose to quit my comfortable, good-paying corporate job.
I knew I had an entrepreneurial itch to scratch. But how? I had a lifelong gift for writing, but I’d never actually written a Resume. So, I started working as a freelance Resume Writer. Making near minimum-wage, I lived the life of a Resume Writer, taking on project after project. I supported myself for several years like this. Gradually, I mastered the art by doing 5,000+ projects on the front-lines as a Resume Writer.
Concurrently, I started building JobStars with modest ambitions for helping local job seekers achieve their goals. JobStars.com launched officially in January 2013. Building a business for the first time was daunting, but also exciting and energizing. Launching a website, creating a services menu, figuring out taxes, learning SEO, and consistently delivering quality services. I started putting the pieces and found my true calling.
My daily commitment is to ensure the delivery of top notch Career Services for every valued JobStars client.
Click + to Learn More About Doug!
- Diversify your job search methods and quit relying on ‘apply and pray’.
- Set attainable job search goals and document your activity every day.
- Don’t be a jack of all trades. Identify your target and get laser focused.
- “Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best.” – Theodore Isaac Rubin
- “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.” – Michael Jordan
- “I’m just always looking forwards. I spend very little time, looking backwards.” – Gary Vaynerchuk
- “Success isn’t always about greatness. It’s about consistency. Consistent hard work leads to success. Greatness will come.” – Dwayne Johnson