As the owner and operator of JobStars USA, my daily commitment is ensuring the delivery of top notch career services for every valued client.
I arrived here after many years of working and learning. My first exposure to the job search world came in 2005, after finishing undergraduate studies at KU, when I started working at CB. This was a period of massive disruption in the hiring ecosystem. As the new digital landscape emerged, newspaper job ads were replaced by digital ads – the entire recruitment and job search process was changing rapidly.
While working there, I did a few different things including sales, marketing, and operations. Managing the company’s (now defunct) service “cbResume” was my first real exposure to the Resume Writing world. It captured my interest immediately. While working full-time, I attended MBA classes at RU. Shortly after earning an MBA in Marketing – at age 28, I chose to quit my comfortable corporate job, for the unknown.
I knew I had an entrepreneurial itch to scratch. But how? I had a lifelong gift for writing, but I’d never actually written a Resume. So, I started working as a freelance Resume Writer. I lived the life of a Resume Writer, taking on project after project while making near minimum-wage at times. I supported myself for several years like this. Gradually, I mastered the art by doing 5,000+ projects as a Contract Resume Writer.
Concurrently, I started building JobStars with modest ambitions for helping local job seekers achieve their goals. JobStars.com launched officially in January 2013. Building a business for the first time was daunting, but also exciting. Launching a website, creating services, learning SEO, figuring out taxes, and delivering quality services. I started putting the pieces together and knew I found my professional calling.
Click + to Learn More About Doug!
- Diversify your job search methods and quit relying on ‘apply and pray’.
- Set attainable job search goals and document your activity every day.
- Don’t be a jack of all trades. Identify your target and get laser focused.
- “Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best.” – Theodore Isaac Rubin
- “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.” – Michael Jordan
- “I’m just always looking forwards. I spend very little time, looking backwards.” – Gary Vaynerchuk
- “Success isn’t always about greatness. It’s about consistency. Consistent hard work leads to success. Greatness will come.” – Dwayne Johnson